Spring Has Sprung and Comes with a WARNING!
Spring time is beautiful especially for dog lovers. Our walks change from wellies and heavy coats and worrying about mud and debris to warmer days and life bursting around us. There is nothing like a spring walk, but dangers are about for our dogs on walks and in our gardens!
They may look pretty, but some spring flowers and bulbs are toxic to dogs. It's important to keep them well out of your dog's reach, particularly if they like to chew or dig in the your garden. A really common flower we see is Daffodils, they are poisonous to dogs if they eat the bulbs or flowers and strangely the water drunk from a vase that has contained them is also very toxic.
Some flowers can simply irritate a dog's mouth and you notice them drooling.
What are other symptoms?
Upset stomach diarrhoea
Not listening to commands
The plants listed below can be fatal so if you are not sure what they look like do a quick Google and take care to avoid them or remove them from your garden. Dogs are spending more time in the garden now the weather is better so prevention is better than cure.
Azalea, Bluebells, Cyclamen, Foxglove, Rhododendron.
Other plants that can poison and cause nasty symptoms and should be avoided are: Buttercups, Daffodils, Narcissus, Hyacinth, Ivy, Lupin, Sweet Peas, Tulips, Wild Cherry trees.
What should I do if I think my dog has been poisoned?
If you have seen your dog eat something that they shouldn’t, don’t wait for symptoms to appear. Call your vet immediately and ask for their advice
If your dog shows any one of the symptoms above contact your vet immediately take with you any evidence of what you think dog has eaten and advise them of what you have in your garden.
Spring walks should be a joy for you and your dog, just be vigilant of anything your dog thinks is a tasty morsel.